Wednesday, April 6, 2016

A good feeling

When we rise above our insecurities, when we overcome the limitations our minds holds us within, at such times we do things that make us feel good about ourselves.
As I approached the squash court today, I made a commitment to myself that I would attempt to break out of the 'giving up' mindset I had slipped into in the last few weeks.  Either I would lose close matches or not even attempt a fightback in those ones in which I had lost early advantage.
This meant I was scrambling for a solitary win in a set of five games or giving up after 4 matches. 
So today I took the fight to the competition from the word go.  I won the first game. I fought hard right from the start putting my everything  into preventing a recovery by my dogged opponent.  The next match I lost despite an advantage early in the game. However a late comeback and a tight finish was a consolation that I hadn't succumbed easily.
At this point we took a break.  Refreshed, I returned to take the next game easily.  Usually we continue straight into game four but this time I requested for a break. I knew my opponent had far better stamina than me and typically beat me in the fourth by the end of which  I hadn't any energy left for the fifth.  Today by taking the break I wanted to be in a better position to win the fourth and thereby the match.
The plan worked.  I won the fourth and therefore the match 3-1 but I still had the fifth match to play if I wished but without the break which I had already consumed. I decided that despite the fact I was tired I would not merely play it but try and win it as though it was the decider.

It was among the toughest match I had ever played.  It see-sawed wildly and had so many rallies that I was dog-tired midway through it.  I was folding up and barely able to lift my racket.
I took a lead and was 12-9 ahead. But my adversary played incredibly to equalize. My mind was numb and swirling.  It was telling me to give up this inconsequential match. But somewhere deep inside me I heard a voice egging me on to win. My opponent went ahead and made it 12-13.
I fought hard and equalized. Then I won the next point. Game point! 
To my horror my opponent was in no mood to relent. He made it 14-all. One point for either to win. It was that close.
I stepped out moments later. I had set myself a victory margin of 4-1 and I had done it.
A great feeling indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment