Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Generation gap

A teenager at home is also a bridge to understanding your young co-workers.
My 16-year old son's project on conservation was to be reviewed by a global think-tank. I offered to drive him to its plush office where he had to present his model to a very senior scientist.
Even though my part would end at the waiting lounge of the organization, by force of habit, I was dressed in my sharpest suit. 
Imagine my shock when my son emerged wearing a collared tee-shirt, jeans and sneakers! 
"Don't you think you should be in err...more formal attire?" I asked.
He took a good look at himself and said with his most winning smile, "Dad, I'm in a collared T-shirt and jeans! This is formal wear." My mind flashed to his regular clothes: shorts, vest & sandals. 
The nickle dropped. 
Mentally I reorganized my perception of a young man's wardrobe today.
A generation gap is bridged. 
Partly at least :)

No comments:

Post a Comment