Tuesday, May 3, 2016

A nation is reflected in its values



Today I was pleasantly surprised when I accompanied my elderly parents for their morning walk.
Every morning for many years now they've been going to this community walking track built by the municipal authorities just behind their house. 
Right from the time they exited the building, I found that they're being greeted by complete strangers. People walking on the opposite sides cross over to wish my parents. Groups of people walking together at the track stop to wish them. There's a disabled man who can barely walk but even he walks upto them to greet them.
Young people slow down their running and touch my parent's feet and wish them.
"Namaste" 
That simple and wonderful Indian word. I see people from all parts of India say this as they greet my elderly parents. Kannada, Punjabi, Bengali, Marathi, Gujarati, Marwari.....Every part of India. Many reach down to touch their feet.
Respect and warmth for parents, done with genuine care and affection. Even with complete strangers. 
How beautiful is my country's heart. How intrinsically good, caring and warm are my fellow Indians. It restores your faith in the concept of India. 
True it is, Mera Bharat mahaan!

No comments:

Post a Comment